Kevin Magnussen eyeing Haas' first podium after fairytale return to F1

MIAMI — Kevin Magnussen was holidaying in Miami previously this yr when he been given a call from his outdated manager, Haas staff principal Guenther Steiner, inquiring him to return for the 2022 period.

The Danish driver, who missing his seat at the end of 2020 and “made peace” with his Formulation 1 vocation coming to a shut, didn’t be reluctant in accepting Steiner’s provide.

“He discussed how a great deal do the job and energy had long gone into this automobile … that was sufficient to make me indication on the dotted line,” Magnussen informed The Write-up on Friday ahead of the inaugural Miami Grand Prix.

The American-owned team sacrificed their 2021 marketing campaign to emphasis on this year’s package, and numerous would argue it is spending off.

Magnussen, 29, competent fourth at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix very last thirty day period, securing the team’s location on the next row of the grid for the first time in its background.

“I believed my Method 1 occupation was more than and I wouldn’t be coming back again,” Magnussen stated. “I approved that and created peace with it. My wife and I experienced a daughter, it was best.

“[But] I missed competing at this amount. So when I got the opportunity to come back, I took the prospect quickly.”

Kevin Magnussen talks to the media on May 6, 2022.
Kevin Magnussen talks to the media on Might 6, 2022.
AFP by using Getty Illustrations or photos

As for the chance of a podium (a top rated-3 end) in 2022, he said “anything is probable.”

“Do I think it’s possible? I don’t know. I’m undoubtedly dreaming about a podium,” Magnussen, whose best complete was a fifth at the Bahrain Grand Prix, stated. “If we strike that ideal weekend where by the safety car will come out or there’s a crimson flag at the right time, it could set us in the correct position.”

A couple of issues are distinctive for Magnussen in the course of his next F1 stint: His teammate is Mick Schumacher, the son of F1 legend Michael Schumacher, and he’s a father to little one daughter Laura, whom he shares with wife Louise.

“It was pretty emotional entering the paddock [for the first race] in Bahrain with my wife and Laura. Formula 1 experienced been these kinds of a major element of my daily life, then it finished, and I had Laura,” Magnussen claimed, noting he did not feel he would ever get the possibility to “combine” the two enjoys of his daily life.

Mick, 23, is also feeling optimistic about the team’s overall performance.

“We’re not far off [a podium],” he stated. “We’ve experienced some nuts races, and with the cars remaining so near this year there is usually a possibility … so I won’t choose it off the table just still.

“Unfortunately past 12 months we weren’t quite assured, so to be right here with a auto that we know is effective nicely at unique spots and unique tracks … I consider we can say that we’re pretty self-assured [in the team’s performance].”

Kevin Magnussen eyeing Haas' first podium after fairytale return to F1

Enregistrer un commentaire

0 Commentaires