Giants bringing new 'Dirtbag' mindset to offensive line

Let us get in touch with them “Frenchy, Dirtbag and the Crew” for now.

Perhaps one particular working day, if every little thing goes in accordance to approach, an organic nickname will arise.

This is the latest incarnation of the Giants offensive line, which at Thursday’s follow incorporated still left guard Shane “Frenchy” Lemieux and centre Jon “Dirtbag” Feliciano – nicknames created by coach Bobby Johnson – as effectively as ideal guard Mark Glowinski and proper deal with Evan Neal as the starters. Korey Cunningham crammed in at left tackle for Andrew Thomas as he diligently rehabbed his surgically repaired still left ankle.

Feliciano is the one particular most acquainted with Johnson, soon after they used the very last a few seasons together as player and place mentor with the Expenses.

“I joke with him each working day: When I create the depth chart on the board, I create ‘Dirtbag,’” Johnson explained. “That’s how he plays. Not in an unlawful manner, but he plays the game on the edge. You have to have that.

Bobby Johnson coaching the Bills in 2021
Bobby Johnson coaching the Charges in 2021
Getty Visuals

“Sometimes if you never have that in just about every person, you have to build that kind of mind-set in the place. Jon performs that way. Glowinski performs that way. I consider we have other guys that can participate in that way. They will discover with me as their coach that if they don’t participate in that way, they will not perform.”

The Giants used 19 distinct starters and 20 different 5-gentleman mixtures in excess of the very last 65 games, as swings-and-misses mounted making an attempt to fix a decade-extended challenge. Staff proprietor John Mara under no circumstances hides his perception that turning about the misery (19-46 record) commences with repairing the line.

“I really don't come to feel the tension,” claimed Johnson, the Giants’ fifth offensive line coach in the very last 5 seasons. “I just really feel a responsibility to get them to execute to expectation – generally the expectation of the ownership. This is 1 of the blue-blood organizations, so, yeah, I experience a duty to get them to exceed the ownership’s anticipations.”

Evan Neal at Giants practice on May 19, 2022.
Evan Neal at Giants follow on Might 19, 2022.
Noah K. Murray-NY Post

The crucial to the rebuild is the development of the two tackles drafted with leading-7 picks. Johnson, who wishes the unit’s identification to be “tough, sensible and trusted,” voiced a big say in the rookie Neal’s selection.

“He had whichever it is that will make me go, ‘I want to be about this guy. I want to mentor this male. I want to enable this dude realize his likely,’” Johnson explained. “It was just that he desires to be actually great. The much more you communicate to him, you locate out it is not lip service. It is genuine.”

Demonstrating endurance with a rookie even though anticipating elite effectiveness is a “delicate harmony.”


The New York Put up has you coated for all the aspects of the 2022 NFL agenda:


“He was drafted in the prime 10 and came to New York Town. That by itself is enough force to crush a player,” Johnson reported. “My task is to develop them all. I will stunt his progress if I attempt to exert any extra force than is previously there.

“Evan places a lot of force on himself, I’ve discovered. A person of my keys to him is, ‘My career is to mentor you. If you will need any stress applied, allow me do it. Don’t do it to yourself mainly because you are far too younger, and you will not know when to change it off.'”

Johnson mentioned Thomas’ movie is “very fantastic.” Following allowing 10 sacks as a rookie, Thomas reduce the full to two in a much-enhanced 2nd year. Establishing regularity in day-to-day preparing is the next step.

“For him, it’s just about ‘I’ve got to get my overall performance to a selected amount and then maintain it,’” Johnson stated. “I assume he’s just acquired a boatload of area to build – and which is not expressing he’s done at a lower stage hence much. It is just, I consider the world of the child.”

Glowinski – the Giants’ biggest no cost-agent signing (three several years, $18.4 million) – is a recognised commodity. On the other side, there is a logjam of prospective guards, but Lemieux – a fifth-spherical decide on in 2020 with a hockey surname and a slender mustache – has the early guide. 

“Frenchy is executing a excellent occupation,” Johnson claimed. “I had a pretty higher grade on him coming out of Oregon. I really preferred an opportunity to coach him. Now I have an possibility. Is he executing what I’m inquiring him so much? Certainly. Is he executing it at a superior degree? Yes.”

8 of 14 offensive linemen on the roster were brought in by to start with-calendar year normal supervisor Joe Schoen. The 2nd-workforce offensive line Thursday involved Devery Hamilton, Joshua Ezeudu, Ben Bredeson, Marcus McKethan and Matt Gono (from still left to right). Max Garcia rotated in.

When former commencing correct tackle Matt Peart (ACL) and middle Nick Gates (broken leg) remained sidelined by previous season’s accidents, Lemieux was not even in the pink jersey to signal harm maintenance in spite of missing the comprehensive year due to knee surgical procedures.

Jon Feliciano signed with the Giants this offseason
Jon Feliciano signed with the Giants this offseason
Getty Illustrations or photos

“They haven’t stated there are any constraints and [Lemieux] is not demonstrating me any limitations,” Johnson explained, “so I’m delighted proper now.”

Giants bringing new 'Dirtbag' mindset to offensive line

Enregistrer un commentaire

0 Commentaires