David Wells threatened to 'beat the s--t' out of George Steinbrenner

David Wells as soon as threatened to beat up the Boss.

The former Yankees pitcher appeared on David Cone’s Jomboy Media podcast, “Toeing the Slab,” and recounted the time he threatened to “beat the s–t” out of George Steinbrenner’s in the course of a testy locker place trade.

As Wells tells it, it was 1997, soon following he joined the Yankees. He was on the acquiring end of a Jeffrey Maier-kind fan-interference party in ideal field, and explained to Steinbrenner to make some modifications to Yankee Stadium.

“I go, ‘George, you gotta do anything with that fence. Previous calendar year it benefitted you and these days it damage us,’” Wells mentioned.

“He seemed at me and goes, ‘You ain’t no pitcher.’ I reported, ‘Excuse me?’ He said, ‘You ain’t the pitcher I signed.’”

Matters escalated from there.

Yankees pitcher David Wells in 2002
Yankees pitcher David Wells in 2002
AP
Yankees owner George Steinbrenner in 1990
Yankees operator George Steinbrenner
AP

“I looked at him and go, ‘What’s that intended to signify?’” Wells claimed.

“He goes, ‘Well, it is what it is.’”

Wells requested: “Well if you do not like me why really don't you trade me? He goes, ‘I tried out but no person wished you.’”

Enterprise begun to decide up.

“Well, that pissed me off. I got in his encounter. I threatened to kick his ass. … I pitched 7-8 innings that day,” Wells recalled.

“I mentioned, ‘if you are still in below following I get ice I’m gonna beat the s—t out of you.’ He goes, ‘I’m not frightened of you’ and he received in my deal with. I go, hmm, ok, we’ll see. Positive plenty of, I went in, bought ice, and came out and he’s sitting down there suitable in entrance of my locker.”

From there, by Wells’ telling, he chased Steinbrenner out of the locker area. Even so, the future working day, there would be a reconciliation. Wells reported he apologized to Steinbrenner for the way he carried himself and the two experienced a 30-minute assembly in Joe Torre’s office.

“We talked. We hashed it out,” Wells claimed. “He acquired up. He gave me a huge outdated hug. A kiss on the cheek. He goes, ‘You’re my male.’ That is form of how I won George Steinbrenner around.”

David Wells threatened to 'beat the s--t' out of George Steinbrenner

Enregistrer un commentaire

0 Commentaires